Thursday, October 22, 2009

Wikis - Pros and Cons

I personally think that a Wiki is a great idea. It will allow for mutually respectful people to work on a website for the benefit of anyone. This is one of a Wikis many pros. However, if there are people who do not respect the rules of the Wiki, then this can be one of the cons of a Wiki. If anyone can go in and change the webiste - edit it - and put false, misleading, and inappropriate information on the Wiki this is wrong. There has to be a group of people who are monitoring the Wiki around the clock to make sure this does not happen. I look at it as a neighborhood watch program. If there enough people interested in a subject and following the Wiki than any attempts of that nonsense will be corrected quickly.

I use Wikipedia all the time. And, I usually believe what I read. Maybe I have too much faith that people are not that malicious.

1 comment:

  1. I was concerned about Wikipedia too - to the point where I just ignored it. But recent info (and I'm nowhere with an exact citation) leads me to believe there's a real editorial process there so I've cast my vote for them...

    ReplyDelete