Thursday, October 29, 2009

Collaborative Writing and Word

I chose Collaborative Writing and Word as my top award winning subject due to my high level of satisfaction thus far with the use of Google Docs. Google Docs ranks #1 among its peers, and my vote is in favor for its use by everyone. And even though I have not tried the others in this group, and I should, but I am a firm believer in not trying to fix what is already working quite nicely.

My first experience with Google Docs was my class project in 550 - Information Technologies for Libraries and Information Analysis. Amy Kearns, our Professor for this class, gave a demonstration to the class, we formed our groups, and we immediately were able to collaborate on our group project. Were there some issues? Yes. We had some formatting problems when converting to Microsoft Word (paragraphs and indents got a little weird) and some editing ground rules issues that we had not established in the beginning, but goes it when you are learning something new. With awesome input from our group we put together a great word document.

My second experience was in my Human Information Behavior class. We had to present a slide show presentation. Which by the way Google Docs calls "Presentation," and Microsoft Office calls "Power Point Presentation." It worked great. Aside from the slides people inserted to be funny at 2:00a.m., not one complaint. Even better the presentation downloaded to a Microsoft Power Point with no issues at all.

And lastly, my experience today with uploading a post to my blog was super simple. On the right hand side of the documents page there is a 'share' drop down button. Click on 'Publish as Web Page,' and it will have 2 options to publish your doc. One of which is to post right to your blog. Since it is a Google Doc and we set up our Blogs with Blogspot, the option is right there for you to log on and it is done in a matter of seconds.

This is John I. for Learning 2.0 Part 8: Online applications & tools #18&19.

1 comment:

  1. I can really see you are grasping these tools and their collaborative possibilities and the nice way they can integrate into other tools you are already using! I really like the Google Doc Presentation too myself! :-)

    ReplyDelete