Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Learning 2.0 Website and 7 1/2 Life Long Learning Steps Take 2 -> Action!

I would like to pat myself on the back for not being afraid to learn new things. 23 of them is going to be a lot, but I am confident and charged up that I can do it. I am very excited about the Information Literacy Toolbox. I don't even know where to begin to Podcast, but I wrote down that I a may need a microphone and an MP3 player!

I love to learn, but sometimes I get frozen. Especially when it comes to technology. I was doing everything possible to procrastinate before starting this weeks assignments. I love to cook and bake so I started baking banana bread before I started in on the readings and assignments. :-) Never throw out those ripe bananas!

Obstacles can always be turned around into positives if I allow myself. Going back to school at 40 years old is a challenge for me. But as it stated in the 7 1/2 Habits of Life Long Learners all I need to do to get the confidence each day and to think of the end results of earning my MLIS degree. The opportunities for my career will open up and I will be doing something that is awesome and hopefully helping others. Then, I can put into action everything I am learning on 2.0 and teach and mentor others so that I keep refreshing my skills.

Step two was very informative. I like the idea of putting down goals in writing. I am a list maker. I love to check or cross things off the list. Check-in every so often to make sure that I am on track is a must for me. And lastly, sign the contract! Make it official. This is a great idea to realize that no matter what the obstacle/opportunity I need to own it and be able to accept responsibility for my own learning.

Look forward to seeing everyone in class.

5 comments:

  1. What an excellent post! This is what I was looking for, yes! Great job! I think just being aware of these things, like procrastination, can help a lot. The more you can be conscious of those kinds of "bad habits" the more you have a chance to do something about them! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. two questions: would patting yourself on the back be better with wings? and about lists; I find myself constantly adding accomplished tasks to already existing lists just so I can cross them off, leaving the existing to do items as yet undone; do you suffer from this condition as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    I love to bake as well and also try never to throw away bananas! I like lists as well because they give me a sense of accomplishment. If it is on paper, it must be done! Although, sometimes I create a "will do tomorrow"list which defeats the purpose of my beginning list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a list person too! Perhaps this is a common trait of librarians? We're in the same boat with the podcast thing. I didn't even know what a podcast was until I took my first class here over the summer!

    ReplyDelete